Friday, November 23, 2012

Life After Trauma

This is a brief bit from a blog I stumbled upon by a survivor of childhood abuse. So many of us walk the same road, trying to forgive ourselves for not knowing, for not doing better, for not being better...

...But there is also LIFE after trauma, a spacious world of possibility surrounding and surpassing moments of regression. In fact, that’s what I most wanted to put into writing today—that the very best way I’ve found to keep bad memories at bay is to invest myself in the present. Looking into my daughters’ eyes just to study their blue, to count the laugh lines ringing their irises… Folding the laundry with fingertips attuned to the interplay of threads, each filigreed whorl of cotton… Holding the bitter of coffee and the sweet of cane sugar on my tongue a few seconds longer… Pressing snooze to slide like a puzzle piece into the curve of my husband’s back, to soak in our collective warmth before the day… Turning the music loud in my earphones and feeling, with all my heart, the beauty of this unpredictable, compassion-won life I’m living.

5 comments:

  1. Elle -- I love the image you chose for this post. The photo depicts the title "Life After Trauma" so well I almost didn't have to read the post. The natural reaction to trauma -- to curl up in a fetal position to protect oneself -- and then the slow, unfurling as the sun comes out again and one comes to grips with what has happened and eventually grows strong enough to stand tall and face the world . . . perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not often comment but I do read and appreciate your blog and have nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is lovely! Thank-you. I'm not entirely sure how the Liebster Award works, though I read that Liebster is German for "favorite", which is a whole lotta sweet.

      Elle

      Delete
  3. I would love if anyone has any tips for getting through Xmas week. My husband gave me a present last night, pajamas, after we had discussed not doing presents this year. I could barely look at them. He said he wanted me to know he was thinking of me. I feel like presents have no meaning for me right now. He always gave me presents, even when he was lying and cheating. I don't want presents; I just want honesty and communication. And next week come the inlaws, who know nothing.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Liz,

      You just gave me a great idea for a second post. Just posted one...but you've got me thinking about the whole gift-giving insanity in the wake of betrayal.

      Check in shortly!

      Elle

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails