Friday, September 22, 2017

Guest Post: "Should" is what's between you and your joy

by StillStanding1

I’ve been thinking an awful lot about the word “should” lately. I’ve done a lot of rumbling with it in the nearly two years since d-day.  Early on I came to the realization that it was a “bad" word best removed from my vocabulary. Should is a whole lot of judgement disguised as motivation. Should is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. It pretends to be interested in bettering ourselves, but really, it is a bold underlining of all the places we believe we lack; all the places where we don’t measure up; all the times someone told us we weren’t enough and we bought it. Should is the leather belt in the hands of our inner parent “motivating” us to do better. Should is our inner critic’s open-handed slap to our face when we believe we’ve missed the mark, when we should have seen the signs, when we should have been thinner/younger/sexier/cooked more dinners/fill in the blank. Should is a bunch of bullshit.
Should is about fitting in, not rocking the boat, not making people uncomfortable and not being true to ourselves. It’s about keeping silent. It’s about shame. It’s a single track, downhill ride to pain and loneliness. It took me a long time to realize this. I had been a poster child for the dangers and self-destruction of perfectionism since my teens. It’s what happens when you grow up with an alcoholic (or in any other dysfunctional family system for that matter). My inner critic was brutal. Nothing I did was good enough. Ever. I was apologetic for my existence, for taking up space. And when I tried and didn’t get the response I expected, I was devastated. Imagine, struggling with depression at 16 and your own father asks you what they did wrong. The clear implication was that something was wrong with me. I was inherently wrong. My inner critic has a mean left.
Post d-day, lots of lessons started coming my way around judgement. One was that the inner critic was an asshole who had sucked the joy from my life for too long and I should dump her. Another was that I could be a lot nicer to myself about successes and also not successes. One of the biggest was that I drop the word “should” and replace it with “could”. Should is a requirement that comes packed with judgement and topped with a set-up for failure. Could is a free choice with no expectations and no losers. There are big shoulds and little insidious shoulds that crop up in our lives. Learning to notice them is the first step to becoming a recovering should-aholic.
The other day I got a message from my daughter, away at college. “Mom, can I tell you something awesome that happened to me?” Yes, of course. She had left her laundry in the laundry room in her dorm for a full day. Had completely forgotten about it. She went to retrieve it, expecting to see it scattered, gone or dumped on the floor. Instead, she found it folded neatly on top of the dryer. Even the socks had been matched up. How lovely! She felt so grateful. The first words out of my mouth were, “Oh that’s so great! You should write a thank-you note.” Well…there was a group chat for the floor but she wasn’t sure she wanted to say anything since it might embarrass the person. I pushed the idea of a note again. It’s less public so they’d still get it but it wouldn’t be out on social media. I felt my daughter’s anxiety rising. And…I realized I was laying a big, fat, old “should” on her. And I said, “Hold on a sec.” And I thought about it. I was creating that anxiety. There was no reason she had to write that thank-you note. It was me taking a wonderful experience and turning it into a situation where she had to do or be more. Ouch. So I backtracked and said, “You know what? You don’t need to write a thank-you note. The only thing you need to do is enjoy feeling grateful.” That’s it. There’s nothing inherently wrong with writing a thank-you note. But there was no need or requirement for it either. I was stunned at how slick my own “should” was at sliding itself in there. And how easy it is to pass on the “do more, be more” message.

 A “should” is all the things we’ve ever heard or been taught about how we don’t measure up. It’s the world’s sneaky, gigantic countermove trying to keep us from who we are. When you move away from should, you move toward yourself. When you start to let go of all the shoulds (I should be a better mom, wife, daughter, friend, artist, writer, manager, leader. I should be smarter. I should be thinner, prettier, sexier, stronger, faster. I should be better with money. I should be able to remember names. I should have known. I should have done this differently. Whatever your personal list of “shoulds” are) you make room for a whole lot of love and acceptance. Then you have two hands free to hang on to yourself.

12 comments:

  1. You hit on everything I've been feeling lately. What could I have done differently, I should have done this? I guess it's time to stop beating myself up over something I had no control over. Sometimes my husband has the same feelings too. We should never have worked there, I should have realized what they were trying to do. I should have gotten help earlier. This post has made me feel so much better, baby steps every day makes me feel better too still after 2 years. I think "should" will be coming out of my vocabulary too.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on Cathy! Tell that inner critic to take a hike. I'm so glad the post made you feel better. I find it helps when I see that others have felt or feel the way I do, have questioned themselves in the same way. It makes me feel like I'm almost "normal'! or at least on the right track. Be good to yourself. Hugs! SS1

      Delete
  2. Gosh, your story about your daughter got me in the gut. I do that to my daughter all the time. It helps me to change the wording of shoulds, to "I want to." It helps me to tap into whether this desire comes from me or from some self judgement. Will try to do it more with my daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MBS it is so easy to slide into should. Its an easy word, but bizarrely loaded with judgement or expectation, something not good. And with our kids I find it gets fuzzy. On the one hand I want to guide them, help them be awesome and happy. At the same time I try to remember that I want to give them the same space I give myself, to be themselves, to find their own way, to realize they are OK just the way they are. If I protect them from all pain (or mistakes) they get no opportunity to grow. Slapping a should on them, for me, is like telling them who they are is not enough (this is a super soft spot for me because it was in all the messages I grew up with).

      Delete
  3. the power of "would", "could" and "might"! you know I eradicated "should" from my general vocabulary and don't play it on others. But on myself??? That inner critic / punitive parent is right there all the time - maybe not using the precise word but the intention plays strong. EVERYTHING is 'should' on to myself. My therapist has asked me to journal all the 'shoulds' and work on reframing them to something healthy. I am wondering what others do to get over this pernicious 6 letter demon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. downundersugarglider (sugar gliders are adorable marsupials, aren't they?) You are so right about that inner critic. Mine was brutal for such a long time, perfectionism to the point of paralysis. Its still something I have to reckon with on a regular basis. Those old habits die hard.
      I don't think there are any formulas for losing the shoulds. First, I had to commit to being kinder and gentler to myself. Then I had to make an effort to start noticing when I was using should. And then asking myself "is it true?" Is it true that I am a suck-ass artist or should be a better painter? Or whatever ridiculous thing I was beating myself up over. Is it true that I should have seen the signs? Well, no. Probably not. Considering how hard cheating spouses are trying to cover their tracks and that whole trust bias thing. So no, it's not true. And then I tell myself that I am doing the best that I can with the skills I have right now. And that's pretty damn good. That's not to say I'm letting myself off the hook for things I need to own... but that's different than making myself responsible for everyone and everything.

      Delete
  4. Great post. I'm teaching English to non-native speakers and we have a whole sequence on modal verbs (more fun than it sounds!) The students find it interesting that 'should' carries such a moral or ethical charge. The equivalents in other languages don't seem to be as insidious. (Or that's how I interpret their surprise anyway.)

    I love the idea of saying "I want to" instead of "I should". With two weeks to go until my h moves out with all his stuff, I am looking forward to rediscovering what I actually want for myself.

    I could take lessons from my toddler in expressing wants rather than shoulds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selkie, that is super interesting to me about the weight of should in English vs other languages. Thanks for sharing that. Wants vs shoulds is an interesting concept too. I think should is about expectations and expectations are often a source of pain, when things don't go or people don't respond or act they way we think they should.
      I hope you are holding up and looking forward to some breathing room. Its going to be hard some days. You are allowed to grieve and feel lonely. But you are also being set free to pursue a new relationship with yourself. Its an incredible thing. Hugs hugs hugs

      Delete
    2. Selkie, I am so glad you are looking forward to rediscovering your life, not an easy transition i am sure, but there can be much joy i am sure in the next chapter!

      But what struck me as much in your post is this, because I have noticed I am giving myself an option instead of a scolding, using the word could--as you did here:
      "I *could* take lessons from my toddler in expressing wants rather than shoulds"
      That's what I am doing now when I am pissed/angry/even happy--I say "i COULD share this-speak this-hide this--what do I want to do?"
      Its a tiny step to take the "shoulds" out of my self judgment.

      Delete
  5. This is such a great post SS1 and I'm going to paste a slightly modified response that I used on Elle's post today about decisions.

    Oh the shoulds. I’ve been questioning myself for years. I’ve been confused for years as a result. Elle’s post today made me think about the decisions I’ve made in my life to keep the peace. It's like Elle and I spent the weekend together, and spoke at length about me and how I doubted myself, who I am, who I've been, how I stifled myself because of what others, namely my husband, had to say. He criticized me for who and how I was/am. But that's all changed now. Letting go of the fear of "I may lose him" freed me to love who I am fully once again. I was wrong to ever doubt me, my decisions, and how I feel about things. How I want MY life to be. I felt that if he didn't like/love me, how could anyone else? What a crock of shit.

    Now that he is dealing with his darkness, he has told me how he kept me down so he would feel better about himself, and that he was trying to push me away so I would leave and he wouldn’t feel like he had failed yet again. He says he regrets all of that now and that he admires the woman I am, my strength and fearless vulnerability, my compassion, my philosophies, my code, and that he looks up to me once again as a guide as he gets to know who he really is and reinvent his life. High praise from someone I don’t trust much, and only time will tell if he has really seen the light and has stepped through the ring of fire, but until then I apologize to no one for my decisions on how to live my life. Be it laying in bed crying out pain, sitting still and working things out, or working on a crochet project while I watch Downton Abby. It’s MY life and I will never relinquish any facet of it again unless I want to change something about it. My beautiful, worthy, loving, juicy and radiant life that I am rebuilding. Love and light to you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olive Mee , I think many of us, because of how we were taught or socialized etc., will silence ourselves to keep the proverbial peace. But peace for whom? Not for us when we were still being criticized, despite our best efforts. I can look at many people I have known, who clearly needed others to feel small or less than in order to feel big themselves. I know everything, even a silly online IQ test by stbx needed to be superior to me. When you have to make yourself small all the time, you start believing you are small.
      I love reading who you describe yourself. It feels so solid and healthy, like you are really grooving on being you. That's good shit right there. Crying, sitting still, making decisions, all those things call on your strength and vulnerability. Such good stuff.
      Im glad you two are making some headway, separately and together... Hugs

      Delete
  6. This hit home for me. I became a "should" or a "supposed to" during my husband's affair. It became a little joke between him and the other woman. That it shouldn't be happening, this wasn't supposed to develop into an affair, blah, blah, blah. It really made me rethink those terms. I get to decide what I want, how to love, how to rebuild, what connections are worth it, etc. So hard and I'm still learning to let go of expectations/shoulds. The big one right now is having kids. I'm well into my 30s and everyone wants to know why we aren't having kids yet, shouldn't you have kids by now?!... Who knows if we will. I'm still just getting through the day sometimes. No shoulds. Just possibilities to decide in the future. Thank you for the post. xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails